Alright, last night I went to the Maz Jobrani show. Though they tell you that the seating arrangement is first come first serve, it is not so much the case. The first three or four rows were “reserved”. Anyway, they will have another show on Sunday so if you weren’t able to attend yesterday, then you have another chance. All comedians were very funny. Though the first two comedians mostly gave British-Irish-American jokes. Funny, but I was hoping maybe some Omani-related jokes. Also, if you were having second thoughts about Jobrani giving his older jokes (the ones you see on youtube) then no worries. I think in total he only gave one or two old jokes, but the rest were new and funny… especially when he was making fun of Dubai :p
Alright, the topic of today is Mutrah…(Image on my banner) I woke up early this morning (usually never happens). I got there, and all the parking spots were blocked by the police!! My friend and I, being Omani and careless, parked anyway. Later on, my friend’s dad called her up and said “The police called and they want you to move your car out of the parking lot”..Oops! When we arrived, a cop was wandering around and there was a ticket on the car window! So, my friend being cute and innocent looking (yes, it helps sometimes) went to him and talked for a bit. She came back, and no parking ticket! yay! Apparently HM is going through Mutrah Cornish sometime today!
Anyway, the real reason I am writing about Mutrah today is to give advice to all of you “suckers” who are unfamiliar with the concept of BARGAINING!
Here are some tips about buying stuff in Mutrah…
- Never ever buy a “silk” scarf for more than 5 rials each! Yes, they are even worth less than that! The Indian told me he sells it to you guys for 20 rials each!!!!!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS! I bought 5 scarfs for that price today! and that was me being nice and not wanting to bargain more!!!!
These are not silk. Do NOT pay for than 2-3 O.R. on them!
- If you are going to buy that awful smelling incense (brown, but looks a little bit like frankincense) for more than 1 rial a jar then I don’t know what to say! The Indian guy didn’t even want us to smell it cause he said it was disgusting, but apparently you guys like it! Buy it but don’t pay the 3.5 rial price tag!!!
- Oh, just because some stuff (mostly stuff that visitors buy) have price tags does NOT mean they are fixed prices! You can bargain EVERYTHING and ANYTHING in Mutrah… so grow a backbone and get some bargaining talent! Geez!
- Please remember that those painting facsimiles are NOT the real thing! It is NOT okay for you to pay 5-10 rials for each! Remember, it is only an image printed on a damn paper! I bought one for 1 rial once! and I thought that was TOO MUCH for it!
Art copies that are not worth much, and other stuff that are not Omani
- If you want to buy an original OMANI silver jewelry, remember.. Oman ONLY does plain silver, or silver with coral. All those really nice and colorful gem stones are Yemeni! not Omani! So, don’t be fooled! They are beautiful, and you should still buy them if you want!
Not Omani.. Not Omani.. and Not expensive either!
- Most of the shops that are right in front of Mutrah don’t have original Omani stuff! Those Cool looking elephants, camels, wood pots, colorful lamps, and beautiful fabric or cushions with similar images are NOT Omani! They are actually Indian! So please! If you want to buy them, then Don’t pay TOO much on them!!!
Alright! I know I’m a bit harsh on you all this afternoon! But that’s cause I love you guys! :-p ..